Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Blown away: The Tongariro Alpine Crossing.







Sometimes the Lonely Planet leaves a lot to be desired. In fact, my friend Mufaro, a tour guide in Africa, disdainfully refers to it as the Lonely Liars. However, in a pinch, it can be a lifesaver. And every now and again, it gets something totally spot on. Like the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.

The Lonely Planet calls the Tongariro Alpine Crossing the best day walk in all of New Zealand. I think I agree. And not just because it weaves through both Mordor and Mount Doom. Though honestly, how cool is that? I was geeking out over LOTR stuff nonstop for 14 miles. LauraLe, I apologize.

But hobbits, elves, and Viggo Mortensen aside, the Tongariro Alpine Crossing is just over-the-top spectacularly beautiful. You hike up and between three competing volcanoes to find the most perfect series of turquoise crater lakes surrounded by magical misty peaks. Even though it’s summer here, there’s still snow capping the highest points. At times, the crossing can be pee-your-pants scary. I was very nearly blown off a ridgeline into a volcano due to the gale force, freezing cold winds, but the view from the other side was well worth the danger. I heard that it’s really good in the winter, so I think I’m going to buy myself some crampons and go for broke once the snows come.

While my peers are busy being hung up on that one special person, I’m finding myself more and more hung up on special places. And this is one is tops. Tongariro, you complete me.

No comments:

Post a Comment