Thursday, June 16, 2011

African idiosyncrasies.

Carrying stuff: People here like to carry things on their heads. Not so idiosyncratic, you think. It is, however, when that something happens to be a messenger bag. The shoulder strap just hangs there. Or sometimes I see students with the shoulder strap around their forehead with the bag hanging down their back.

Sweeping stuff: I can't tell you how many times I've seen women sweeping dirt roads. I can't quite wrap my mind around the logic of this. Especially when right next to the dirt road is a field completely littered with trash.

Machete-ing stuff: I've also seen men mowing the grass along side the road with machetes. Again, right next to fields or rain forests. Why the tedious landscaping when there are so many goats running around?

Wearing stuff: I am endlessly pleased when I see a man walking down a rural dirt road wearing a three-piece suit. And it happens more than you'd think. I'm equally pleased when it's a woman in an over-the-top sequined dress. Or one of those crazy printed dresses with puffed sleeves that would put Anne Shirley to shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment