Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The degree of my patriotism.


Unwilling to let the Fourth of July pass completely unnoticed, I decided to share the wonderful American tradition that is s'mores with my traveling companions, most of whom are Australian. Making the real deal is pretty much impossible in Africa, but the following is my close approximation:

Graham crackers: Biscuits (Americans, this means hard cookies) will do in a pinch, though plain is better than ginger, assuming a fatty (i.e., me) hasn't already eaten them.

Marshmallows: Your only option is a brand called Haribo. The bag comes with both regular white and pink strawberry. The pink ones are weird, and both colors get a hard, waxy shell on the outside when toasted (more on this later).

Chocolate: If you plan ahead, this is no problem. There's a lot of good Cadbury chocolate to be found in Africa. Just don't, for the love of Pete, make the mistake of buying the Turkish Delight flavor. You'll regret it and completely ruin your already mediocre s'more.

Problems you may encounter:
-Lack of substantial roasting sticks. Skinny twigs break and burn.
-Poor proportions. The smallness of the ginger biscuits can result in sticky hands or much, much worse.
-Unresponsive Australians. It's a s'more, dammit! You. Will. Love. It.

End results:
-2nd degree burns. Because the shitty ginger biscuits were so tiny, I ended up getting molten marshmallow on my index finger. That's six blisters and a whole lotta gross. I spent the next two days with a piece of aloe plant taped to my hand as a ghetto herbal remedy.
-Second rate s'mores.
-Disappointing Fourth of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment