Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Zanzibar is wunderbar.




Stonestown. Tightly packed, dilapidated buildings line crooked alleyways in sad, yet beautiful grandeur. Though peeling and falling apart, they still hold the remnants of their former glory--especially in the woodwork around the windows and the exquisitely carved doors.

Our first day there, Melissa and I shopped in the morning, then met up with the rest of the group for cocktails at The Africa House--a former gentleman's club from the British colonial days. As I watched the sunset over the water and sipped my passion fruit margarita, I silently went over all of the things to be thankful for. The list was long. And chances are if you're reading this, you're on it.

For dinner we walked to the night market, where I floated from stall to stall on cloud nine. I watched "my friend" (in Zanzibar, everyone is your friend) make me a special Zanzibar pizza on his outdoor, coal burning stove. It was delish. Then I stopped by a sugar cane stand where another friend squeezed the cane through a massive juicer, added some lemon, and poured it into a real glass. Also delish. And finally, I had another pizza, this time with chocolate and bananas, covered in syrup. This was beyond delish. Oh yeah, and then I ate a brownie. Did I mention I was on my way north to the beach? Probably not a good meal to eat before squeezing myself into a bathing suit.

But I'm on holiday, so I can do whatever I want. Just one more thing to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment