Thursday, July 14, 2011

What motivates me?

Fear. More specifically, the fear of missing out. That's my number one motivator. That's the reason I've taken an indefinite leave of my former life (and, I've been told, my senses) to travel the world.

But my secondary motivators aren't quite so obvious. For instance:

Kilimanjaro: I read an interview with Bill Clinton. Climbing Kilimanjaro was an unchecked box on his bucket list. From that moment on, I was determined to one-up Slick Willy.

Victoria Falls: I'm obsessed with pith helmets and monocles, and I associate both with Victoria Falls.

The Serengeti: I read a science fiction short story in Jr. High (I think it was by Ray Bradbury) about these two children who transported their fighting parents into the Serengeti to be eaten by lions. This is a very loose plot summary because I have a terrible memory and Jr. High was a long time ago. However, I do remember that I was transfixed by the author's description of the Serengeti and the way the lions stalked the parents across the plains.

Scuba Diving: Harry Houdini. I don't know why.




No comments:

Post a Comment